One of the most wasted products in the last years have been plastic. This represents a massive problem for the environment and also an important topic to be well informed. Plastic recycling is the main action that should be prioritized and discussed.
Research shows that more than 8 million metric tons of plastic end up in the ocean every year. The number is terrified and this is why governments around the world are taking actions concerning this matter and making easier the process to recycle this product.
If you want to know more about this eco-friendly actions keep reading this article in which we will talk you about the importance of plastic recycling and how to do it.
How important is plastic recycling?
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) measures the generation, recycling, composting, combustion with energy recovery and landfilling of plastic materials in all the country.
In 2017 EPA used data from several studies of the American Chemistry Council and the National Association for PET Container Resources to show that the overall amount of recycled plastic is really small just 8.4 percent. In others specific plastic containers, the percentage is bigger than this.
Plastic recycling decreases the amount of trash thrown to incinerators or landfills, conserve natural resources, prevents pollution, saves energy, among others important benefits for the planet and people.
Where can I find a recycling location?
There are a lot of options if you are looking for a place to recycle this are some of them:
There are several web pages on which you can search for recycling centers near your area. These web pages are really easy to use and you will only have to introduce your zip code, the radius in which you are searching, the type of material that you are looking to recycle, and others.
Some of the web sites are:
You can also check in some government web sites if you need more information about these locations.
It is important to remember that you will need to check which plastic are you recycling in order to verify that the current location can receive this type of plastic.
Equally important are mobile apps in this matter. Companies are working every day to make recycling easier and more accessible this is why some apps have been developed for this. These are some of them:
- Recycle coach.
- Recycle nation.
All these apps can be free downloaded on iOS and Android.
Another simple way to look for a recycling center is by google search. Just go to Google and type what kind of recycling center are you trying to find, what material or just introduce plastic recycling on it.
Other plastic recycling locations
However, if you are not looking forward to going to a recycling center and you just want to throw your plastic in the closest place for you, there are other options to keep in mind:
- Franchises and big retailers like Target, Marshalls, Walmart, Aldi, and others, usually have bins for recycling use.
- National parks have bins destined for plastic recycling as well.
- Small stores also have bins for plastic recycling.
Process of plastic recycling
The process of plastic recycling has several steps to go through and these are some of them:
- The first step in this process is plastic recollection.
- Then plastics needs to be sorted in the recycling facilities.
- Plastic must be washed to remove all kinds of impurities in the product.
- Product have to be also resizing this increases the surface area on the plastic and make it easy to process.
- Identification and separation of plastic is the step in which the smalls plastic particles are tested.
- As the last step, compounding is the process in which plastic particles are made into recycled materials usable for future production.