Melted plastic is toxic
Some additives are placed directly in food, while ‘indirect’ additives can include plastic chemicals, glues, dyes, paper, cardboard and different types of coatings used for processing and packaging. The most concerning include:
In 2017, the American Consumer Product Safety Commission banned the use of some phthalates in infant care products such as teething rings. They are also regulated in Europe.
Therefore, among its recommendations, the American Association of Pediatrics (AAP) advocates a more rigorous and transparent regulatory process, including new requirements for toxicity testing prior to market use and for retesting previously approved chemicals.
Water bottles, trays, bags…. If heated or exposed to high ambient temperatures, they run the risk of decomposition of the plastic coating and the formation of undesirable substances such as dioxins and other toxins that can migrate into the food.
Numbers of toxic plastics
This compound consists of two phenolic rings (benzene ring with an OH group) joined (hence “bi” and “phenol”) centrally to a propane molecule in a symmetrical manner. The technical name is therefore 2,2-bis(4-hydroxyphenyl) propane.
When phenolic rings are attached to other compounds, they are designated by another letter, depending on the compound. For example, Bisphenol-A comes from the reaction with Acetone, Bisphenol-S from the reaction with sulfur trioxide (Sulfide), Bisphenol-F with Formaldehyde, etc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol). Bisphenol-A (BPA) is mainly used in epoxy resins and certain plastics such as Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC, recycling code 3) and some Polycarbonates (PC, recycling code 7). These materials are found, for example, in some packaging or lining the inside of food or soft drink cans.
The molecular structure of BPA mimics the structure of natural estrogens. It therefore has the capacity to alter the endocrine system. BPA therefore constitutes what is called an “endocrine disruptor”. Adverse effects include:
What happens when plastic gets hot
We have detected that you have an ad blocker activated. We remind you that thanks to our advertisers we can offer you all the information of our online magazine. If you want to continue to enjoy our content, please deactivate it.
Plastic soft drink or water bottles are neither refillable nor completely safe for our health as they can release toxins if reused or exposed to a heat source, and can contain millions of bacteria capable of causing disease. They also have a very negative impact on the environment, so sustainable alternatives are being sought, such as materials made from food processing by-products that are easily recyclable or biodegradable and can help reduce waste.
Because of the daily wear and tear of repeated washing and reuse (physical breakage of the plastic), because the containers are subjected to high temperatures and excessive light during storage (due to the migration of unwanted substances) and because of the possibility of becoming contaminated with pathogenic microorganisms, the WHO recommends the following rules for the reuse of plastic soft drink and water bottles:
At what temperature plastic is toxic
Plastics are everywhere and in most cases are very cheap and convenient. More and more scientists, however, are discovering that there is a high price as it affects our health. Some common plastics release harmful chemicals into the air, food and beverages. These substances are invisible, yet if you use plastic in your food, chances are you are consuming some of it with your meals.
Beyond the immediate health risks, the increasing use of these plastics is causing an enormous amount of permanent pollution. Every bit of this material remains over time (except for the little that has been incinerated and releases toxic chemicals). In the ocean, plastic waste accumulates in giant spirals of garbage, where, among other things, fish ingest pieces of these toxic plastics at a rate that soon eating seafood will become a risk.