If you own a house with a yard, a sprinkler system is necessary to keep your lawn, plants, and flowers in good condition, especially when the first rain comes.
You may not know if you can use a poly pipe for the sprinkler system. Here we provide you with the answer to this question, as well as other alternative materials that are also used in the irrigation system, such as PVC.
What is Polyethylene?
Poly, commonly known as Poly for short, is a high-density polyethylene pipe (HDPE). It is a pipe used in irrigation systems, water pipes, and conduits. It is much more flexible than others and maintains a high level of strength for most home irrigation systems.
Despite its positive aspects, Poly is less strong than PVC. It can work from 200 to 300 psi, but if you’re looking for a device that will water your house plants, it works great because it’s lightweight and flexible.
Aspects to consider about poly pipe for an irrigation system
Before selecting the type of material, it is advisable to know which are the most used in the area or where you plan to place it. Poly and PVC are widely used anywhere and work best in specific locations.
Typically, the best alternative tends to be Poly. One of its advantages is its affordability, as well as its durability. Unlike poly, PVC requires many more fittings for the risk system every 2 or 3 meters, the average length of a pipe you find in almost all home stores.
With Poly, you only have to install fittings where you need sprinklers, significantly reducing costs and points of potential failure.
How to set a poly pipe in an irrigation system?
Before we explain how the installation process is, you must have the following tools:
- ¾ inch poly pipe.
- 1-inch clamps.
- ¾ inch adapters.
- Utility knife.
- ¾ inch tee fittings
Once you have all of these tools, follow the steps below:
- Install the adapter. Screw the threaded end of the adapter into the outlet of the irrigation valve. Tighten it very well to avoid leaks.
- Push the hose end of the hose into the pipe. Slide a hose clamp over the end of the tubing and perform this procedure until the tubing is fully inserted into the tube. Place the clamp around this part ½ inch from the end of the pipe. Proceed to tighten it with a screwdriver.
- Dig the pit where the irrigation system will go. The pit network should run from the valve to the points where the sprinklers will go. The trenches must be at least 15 cm deep to avoid freezing in winter.
- Place the pipes in the trench and cut where you need to install T-shaped fittings on the side branches, so the water reaches the sprinklers. Keep in mind that poly tubing is flexible, but if bent, it will form a bend that will prevent the water from flowing smoothly.
- Install a T-connector. Then, install this connector on the pipe with the tee stem pointing up. Proceed to cut a small piece of tubing and push it into the open end of the tee. Insert the barbed fitting into the other end of the pipe and thread the sprinkler head onto the other end of the fitting’s thread. Cut the poly tubing where the sprinkler head goes.
- Finally, check for leaks. Turn on the water and ensure everything is in order and the irrigation system is working correctly.
Important: this is an underground installation process. Therefore, you should check that the sprinklers are positioned vertically as the soil returns to the pits.
Is Polyethylene the best material for an irrigation system?
Without a doubt, poly is one of the best. However, it depends on factors such as climate. For example, PVC irrigation systems work best in warm temperatures in winter.
Poly is better when a more complex irrigation system is required, and sprinklers require flexibility. Either way, both materials are durable and suitable for any environment.
Does polyethylene pipework for irrigation?
Yes, but most modern irrigation systems are made of high-density polyethylene pipe (HDPE). It is a solid plastic with outstanding properties, making it ideal for water to be carried from one point to another through such a system.
What is the best material for the turf risk system?
Both white PVC (polyvinyl chloride), as well as polyethylene pipe or black pipe are advisable to fit in the garden of your house.
How long do polyethylene pipes last?
Usually, the polyethylene pipes of the irrigation system can last between 10 to 15 years. However, after 4 to 5 years, it may develop cracks leading to leaks. It is essential to keep it cared for so that it lasts longer.